   Re: [xml-dev] Identify PUBLICID outside of dtd?

Hi Tim,

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 19:06, Tim Bray wrote:

> What's a doctype?  SGML had the idea that you could get to the DTD from
> the Public or System identifier, and that's all you could get to
> (automatically).  RDDL tries to deal with the reality that a "document
> type", if such a thing exists, involves more than one schema in one
> language.

I'd like it, but don't think that RDDL can be assimilated to a doctype
since it's describing a namespace and that several namespaces can be
used in a XML document.

I don't think either that the RDDL document associated with the
namespace of the document element since that would miss the point that
inovative users may add foreign namespaces in a fashion that was not
envisioned by the designer of this namespace.

I think that we truly miss the notion of a "DocType" describing the
specific mixture of namespaces of the current document and eventually
giving hints on processing and validation models.

This could be done using documents with the same syntax than RDDL, but a
mechanism would need to be added to associate this "pseudo RDDL doctype"
to an instance document and I don't think that we can rely on the actual
namespace URIs found in a document since they identify pieces of the
document rather than the document as a whole.

My 0,02 Euros...

Eric
--
                         Generated by Signify v1.07.