   Re: [xml-dev] Identify PUBLICID outside of dtd?

From: "Chris Wilper" <cwilper@cs.cornell.edu>

> I am convinced that the concept of a DOCTYPE/PUBLICID
>  identifying a doctype is needed... and that this concept
> must not be coupled with a particular schema language,
> nor considered to be on-par with a namespace identifier

> Is anyone working on defining something like this?  Usually
> a couple day's searching will turn up something, but
> so far I've only found manifestations of the problem.

The approach I have been using for this is the XAR (XML Application
Archive).  See http://www.topologi.com/public/dzip.html

Our general take is that the problem is not so much with naming
document types but with snapshot-ing, version-consistency and
deployment.   Above all, it is about keeping control: getting an integrated
local copy of all the relevant resources that might be nice for
manipulating a document type.

This is not only because of the non-ubiquity of the WWW and its unreliabity,
but merely that bundling eliminates many potential sources of problems
and allows some nice generic tools and operations: as people who use ZIP,
JAR, WAR, and EAR files know.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe