   Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft and vector graphics (Was:XDocs and XForms?)

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:

> In this sector I suggest that, in practice, Microsoft can do pretty much
> what it likes. They do have an option to develop a new vector graphics
> standard, whether they call it VML2 or something else.

Yes and no. Such an attempt may succeed initially but developers will
probably avoid using such a feature in the long run for the same reasons
I stopped using HTML Behaviors, XML data islands, proprietery CSS
filters, <marguee>s etc. I will not invest in proprietery functionality
and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one sharing this view. MS knows
that so I don't think they will invest man-hours and money to bring up
such a proprietery standard when a competitive open standard is available.
The situation as I see it is more like MS has found a convinience in
Adobe implementing the standard in IE for them. The only problem is the
limits of the object tag but today's browsers don't handle mixed markup
that well anyway.

> One factor playing into this is the, as I perceive it, threat to future
> MS revenues from the international move to open source software - either
> on economic or political grounds. Adding SVG to IE (which is "free")
> doesn't directly add to MS revenues. I suspect it would be tough, at
> present, for an SVG project at MS to get strong backing. I hope I am wrong.

With all respect, I don't even care. Having Adobe implement the standard
for IE makes me feel a lot safer against "embrace and extend" practices.

Regards,

Manos