From: AndrewWatt2000@aol.com [mailto:AndrewWatt2000@aol.com]
Sent: Thu 10/17/2002 1:20 AM
To: paul@prescod.net; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] Microsoft and vector graphics (Was:XDocs and XForms?)

	In a message dated 16/10/2002 23:29:42 GMT Daylight Time, paul@prescod.net writes:

		We were talking about competition in the context of browsers. Microsoft
		does not have the option of inventing a new vocabulary for vector
		graphics. They could go the proprietary route with VML 2. They could go
		the standards route with SVG. They can't develop something totally new
		and proprietary without experiencing serious industry pushback.

	Paul,

	In this sector I suggest that, in practice, Microsoft can do pretty much what it likes. They do have an option to develop a new vector graphics standard, whether they call it VML2 or something else.

	Of course, I would like to see Microsoft adopt SVG and implement it in Internet Explorer and in whatever the new generation browsers turn out to be.

	One factor playing into this is the, as I perceive it, threat to future MS revenues from the international move to open source software - either on economic or political grounds. Adding SVG to IE (which is "free") doesn't directly add to MS revenues. I suspect it would be tough, at present, for an SVG project at MS to get strong backing. I hope I am wrong.

	Andrew Watt