   RE: [xml-dev] The Browser Wars are Dead! Long Live the Browser Wa rs!

You're right.  My experience is different.

I used to be of the same persuasion as Paul and
perhaps yourself.  Then I was introduced to industrial
scale databases with high reliability requirements.
I tried to do with Javascript and VBScript what
has been done with Visual FoxPro, Oracle and
SQL Server.  It altered my opinions with real world
demonstrations of the productivity and efficiency
of dedicated languages.

That doesn't mean I don't use the HTML browser or
code for it.  I definitely do.  I learned what
it is good at and what it isn't.  Give me
specialized clients with XML-capable web awareness
anyday.  I don't need an operating system with
an operating system hosting it.  I need an
operating system with components, among them
but not first or foremost, Internet components.
The HTML browser is a great renderer.  Drag
and drop it onto the form.  Cool.  Build the
form inside it; dumb slow and awkward.

And God save me from specs produced by people
who don't work in the industry they pretend
to be standardizing.

len

From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com]

> Have at.  But if that means I have to ditch a
> client that uses a language that gets the work
> done in a few lines of code vs a thousand, runs
> fast and is highly reliable over a system that
> can return 404 and has the highest maintenance
> costs in the business, no thanks.

As usual, you commercial experience is radically different from mine.