   Re: [xml-dev] The Browser Wars are Dead! Long Live the Browser Wars!

Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> This has little to do with the differences between relational and XML
> querying. All you've pointed out is that XML queries are typically done
> against a "view" while SQL queries are typically run against an actual
> database schema. A query against XML can be similarly tightly coupled if
> done against an XML repository (i.e. a native XML or XML-enabled DBMS)
> as can a SQL query be loosely coupled if performed against a SQL view.

XML tools are typically designed with a "view" mindset. The XML document
is the interchange format of some data. There is almost always logic,
whether declarative or procedural, mapping to the persistence layer and
the toolkits are designed to help with that. I wouldn't really no how to
go about creating a SQL-queryable "view" in C as an abstraction over a
variety of SQL, OO and legacy data sources. Is there (for example) an
open source project or .NET component that would help me with that?
Would I have to become a deep magic expert at Postgres or SQL server
versus spending a half day with Expat?

My understanding is that Microsoft has tried various experiments about
the "universal data view architecture" (ODBC, ADO, ec. etc.) and so-far,
XML has "won". In my experience, it is quite uncommon to create SQL
views outside of a SQL database, and very common (and easy) to create
XML views of all sorts of information.

  Paul Prescod