   RE: [xml-dev] What is XML For?

> Too hard.  Too political.  I've no intention of going through the COM,
> Corba (and what the heck -- throw in Java/RMI and OODCE) wars again.

Ahhh, so you didn't fall into my sticky little trap, I see. Very well...

> XML is data.  Okay, sure, great, fine.  A serialized object being sent
> over the network is also data.

Yes, okay.  But where's the type system, the defined functional operators,
the logic interpreter?  They're probably all going to be implicitly assumed
by the receiver (otherwise you might as well send the whole program
compiler/interpreter over the wire, as well).

In XML, you're not assuming any of that, unless you choose to. The only
thing assumed is the syntax. There's not guarantee somebody else will choose
interpretation you do (fortunately or unfortunately, depending on
circumstance).