   Re: [xml-dev] Re: W3C and Linking - what is the future?

In a message dated 24/10/2002 15:46:40 GMT Daylight Time, jcowan@reutershealth.com writes:

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com scripsit:

> From this part of your response I assume that you are not familiar with the
> idiomatic meaning of "lose the plot" in British English?
>
> It doesn't have the sense that you seem to imagine it might.

Time to enlighten the benighted Yanks, Andrew, including me.

John,

For some reason I had previously assumed you were benighted Irish. :) ... Not sure why.

Accepting that idioms can be very difficult to define precisely ... being reminiscent of a globally acceptable linking solution in that regard:

"Lose the plot" means pretty much the same as "lose the thread". But if the latter exists in American English it may, as these things can, have a different meaning.

In "standard English" to "lose the plot" indicates a loss of perspective with regard to (at least some) important matters. ... :) That sounds terribly formal for a phrase which is much more expressive. ... It can also carry the sense of, as a result of the loss of appropriate prioritisation, getting things into a mess or leaving them in a mess. That seems to me a not unreasonable comment about linking. But your mileage may differ. :)

I imagine Mike thought I was supporting the conspiracy theory that W3C is out to dominate the World.

What I was saying is that I perceive linking at W3C as a bit of a mess and, implicitly, it seems to me that more work needs to be done to improve things. It is of concern that no further work *appears* to be planned. [I think I managed to state that without use of any obscure British English idioms.]

Does that help?

Andrew Watt