   Re: [xml-dev] Re: W3C and Linking - what is the future?

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com scripsit:

> For some reason I had previously assumed you were benighted Irish. :) ... Not
> sure why.

I bear an Irish name, certainly, and my grandfather emigrated thence.
Of course, American English is essentially Hiberno-English
in the mouths of refugees from Bismarck's Prussia.  See
http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/essential.html for much more of this.

> "Lose the plot" means pretty much the same as "lose the thread". But if the
> latter exists in American English it may, as these things can, have a
> different meaning.

"Lose the thread" suggests to me forgetting what one is talking about,
or ceasing to follow a conversation.

> In "standard English" to "lose the plot" indicates a loss of perspective with
> regard to (at least some) important matters. ... :) That sounds terribly
> formal for a phrase which is much more expressive. ... It can also carry the
> sense of, as a result of the loss of appropriate prioritisation, getting
> things into a mess or leaving them in a mess. That seems to me a not
> unreasonable comment about linking. But your mileage may differ. :)

I think I interpreted you correctly, then.  If the plot is lost at W3C,
it may indeed be found at some other standards organization in future.

> What I was saying is that I perceive linking at W3C as a bit of a mess and,
> implicitly, it seems to me that more work needs to be done to improve things.

Indeed.  But that does not mean that W3C is either an appropriate or a necessary
forum for the purpose.

> Does that help?

Admirably.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."