   Re: [xml-dev] We need SAX features to say a parser supports XML 1.1

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 13:33, John Cowan wrote:
> Eric van der Vlist scripsit:
>
> > XML 1.0 says:
> >
> > "Since future versions are not ruled out, this construct is provided as
> > a means to allow the possibility of automatic version recognition,
> > should it become necessary."
>
> That means that looking at the version number is sufficient to say
> what the version is.

It's a strange thing to call automatic :-) ! but I guess that you can
consider that when I am writing "A", I am expecting readers to
automatically understand that it's a "A"...

>  Since XML 1.1 must declare the version, anything
> that doesn't declare the version is 1.0 by default.

Yes. When I saw:

<q>
2.8 Prolog and Document Type Declaration

Change "1.0" everywhere to "1.1"
</q>

I was expecting the worse, and have been glad to read on:

<q>
4.3.4 Version Information in Entities [NEW]

.../...
If an entity (including the document entity) is not labeled with a
version number, it is treated as if labeled as version 1.0.
</q>

> There is no such thing as
> a document that is both WF 1.0 and WF 1.1 (though the great bulk of
> documents can be trivially converted by just changing the version
> declaration).

Right.

Thanks for the clarification.

Eric
--
Did you know it? Python has now a Relax NG (partial) implementation.
                                          http://advogato.org/proj/xvif/