   RE: [xml-dev] What is XML For?

>Wrapping it up, I would say that if your main interest is in interchanging
>programming objects, xml is probably not a wonderful choice.

One approach that does work quite nicely is that of JSX [1], which allows
Java serialization of objects (instances) to XML in a line or so of code.
Interesting, it seems there has been a big takeup of this tool by people
wishing to maintain configuration information between different versions of
an app. As XML it's relatively simple to modify data saved from version x to
allow loading into version x++, something that can't be done with Java's own
serialization. It's also worth noting that the objects persisted in this
fashion can be passed to non-Java systems.

Cheeers,
Danny.

[1] http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~bren/JSX/