   RE: [xml-dev] XML as a type .. was [ANN] "Future of Software and Databas

> Think also about e-business transactions that involve
> exchanging XML documents.
> Now consider what type of audit trail you have without
> storing the documents
> being exchanged (with digital signatures and so on).

I think it gets a little more complicated than that, though.  While I agree
with those that state that XML does not have (or is not) a data model, it
can still express data models (being the useful generic syntax that it is).
So what you can wind up with is a physical data model (hierarchical)
embedded within another physical data model (relational).

I've used object and object-relational databases, and in a sense there's
some overlap there. But objects have methods, XML documents do not. The
methods of an object constrain its usage, but even XML data with an
associated schema is not so constrained, since the schema may be disregarded
by an application.

It may be a molehill of a distinction or effect; perhaps the XML-database
heads would care to comment?