   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

From: "Ann Navarro" <ann@webgeek.com>

> Schemas dropped the ball, it would be nice to get it back in play.

I don't agree that "Schemas dropped the ball".

In WXS, OASIS RELAX NG, Schematron, and the ISO DSDL project
all have the model of representing the constraints on the parsed document.
We all have the model that entity declarations belongs to a different layer.

At the current time, this complicates life because of the standards vacuum
for "document types": a collection of constraints and other resources
giving the information items and their types that can be named and used.

There are two technologies that could be used for this, perhaps in combination:
RDDL and XAR files. Until the notion of document type is made first class,
so that document-type specific pipelines can be specified, it is hard to see
how a non-DTD solution for the standard entities can come about.

Cheers
Rick