   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

From: "Ann Navarro" <ann@webgeek.com>

> Second:
>
> Asking document authors to write DTDs to simply use the trademark symbol
> (or insert your common character of choice), something they've done for
> years, strikes me as the result of laziness on our part (we = the creators
> of standards). They shouldn't have to do that. Any reasonable justification
> escapes me.

The idea that standards-makers should assume that people will be "shielded" from the tags by
nice custom GUIs is such wishful thinking.   Even if people are shielded from delimiters,
invoking things by short names (in menus and lists) is often a very convenient way of
interacting:  GUIs won't necessarily make the need go away for standard names for
publishing and technical characters: they use such lists.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe