   RE: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>So no DTD is needed. If someone uses character entities in a document
>being sent to a lightweight parser that didn't provide its own
declarations,
>it would be a WF error, as currently exists.

Question: why is this currently a WF error, as opposed to a validity error?

Are there any known cases of processing that *depends* on this being
a WF error (and would thus be surprised if it someday became allowed)?

I too would like to see some experimentation with alternatives, but the
WF obstacle is pretty tough.

Thanks,

.micah