   Re: [xml-dev] is XML complete?

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com writes:
>Can you explain why linking and styling are "in" this narrower view
>and other things not?

Just the original terms of the project.  Syntax (SGML-lite), Style
(DSSSL-lite), and Linking (HyTime-lite).

>Might this not be a fairly arbitrary definition of where the
>boundaries of XML should be drawn?

Of course.  Personally, I'd draw the line at syntax and leave the rest
well enough alone as their own separate projects.

>AABSABI (or XML Infoset, or PSVI, if you prefer) seems to me to be key
>to the debate of what XML "is" or, maybe more precisely, what XML is
>being transmogrified into.
>
>On reflection, don't you think it's an important issue?

It's an important issue, but I don't think it's anything to do with XML.
I don't view the original and reasonably modest XML Infoset as
particularly central to XML either, though it's certainly based on XML.

I prefer to leave transmogrification to Calvin and Hobbes.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether