   Re: [xml-dev] is XML complete?

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com scripsit:

> >No, I just take a slightly narrower view of what XML is.
>
> Can you explain why linking and styling are "in" this narrower view and other
> things not?

Historical grounds, primarily.  The original SGML-on-the-Web was to
have three phases:  syntax (based on SGML), linking (based on HyTime),
and style (based on DS*L).

> Might this not be a fairly arbitrary definition of where the boundaries of
> XML should be drawn?

All boundaries are arbitrary.

> If XML 1.0 had had a clear data model then we might not have the assortment
> of DOM, XPath 1.0, XML Infoset, PSVI, AABSABI and the XQuery data model. It
> would have made life a heck of a lot simpler to have a single,
> well-thought-out data model.

Which would have delayed the release of XML 1.0 by probably five years.

--
Winter:  MIT,                                   John Cowan
Keio, INRIA,                                    jcowan@reutershealth.com