From: Dan Mabbutt [mailto:Seigfried@msn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 3:32 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Tablet PC ink is XML

Checking the MS show schedule, I see that most of the country still
hasn't seen the show yet. I was lucky enough to be in one of the early
cities.

You guys are a tough audience! I have to say that I'm impressed.
Sometimes, the best ideas are the simplest ones. Yes, it does
handwriting recognition (and very impressively too). I had a hard time
making out some of the characters that it got right. But this isn't
really what will make it succeed.

Probably the biggest advance will come from the STANDARDIZATION
(something XML'ers should understand the importance of) of the pen
interface through a .NET SDK. Now ... this is not ASCII or even WWW
standardization ... this is Microsoft-style "golden rule" (he who has
the gold makes the rules) standardization. But it's standardization
nonetheless. And given this base to work from, I predict a whole raft of
third party applications and the Tablet PC as one of the few bright
spots in an otherwise glum Christmas electronic selling season. ("Deck
the halls with greed and folly!")

If MS pulls this one off, the 'pen' will become a ubiquitous interface
much like the mouse is today.

Dan Mabbutt