   Re: [xml-dev] Tablet PC ink is XML (maybe SVG)

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 7:32 pm, Paul Prescod wrote:

> I may have lost the thread of this discussion but I'll interject that I
> know that an advertised feature of the Tablet PC is handwriting
> recognition. I thought I saw some message questioning that.
>
> "3. How does the Tablet PC handwriting Recognition work? - The
> handwriting recognition on the Tablet PC works based on your natural
> writing.  It accepts printing and handwriting.

...probably nosediving off topic now, but how many people here used to have an
Apple Newton? I did - one of the original ones (OMP). It was total rubbish at
recognising my handwriting. Almost never managed anything vaguely like that
which I wrote.

More recently, a couple of years ago I got a Pocket PC - (Casio EM500). It
uses handwriting recognition that seems to resemble the Newton in almost
every way other than name. Equally rubbish, unbelievably so.

Managed to come across other handwriting recognition software though, called
'Calligrapher'. This seems to work in exactly the same way, but differs
markedly in that it actually does seem to work. Not every time, of course -
in fact, not usefully enough to make text entry a fluid process, but I've
never wanted to throw the PPC through the window since Calligrapher (unlike
the Newton, which has been thrown against many a wall in sheer anger (top
marks for the strength of the display though!).

--
Ian Tindale