   RE: [xml-dev] Microsoft on XML

You're right.  I should be more sensitive than I have.  I think I'm
still mad about being flamed by several members on my very first post
here (4 days? it seems a lot longer!). Now that I realize it, I'll make
a conscious effort to get over it.

And second, when I ask things that are XML related and specific to .NET
(which is what I am currently working in so that's what I ask), I
typically get answers from the same people and get email about
non-Microsoft alternatives and why I want to try those.  (appreciated
email, with very valid reasons for non-Microsoft products, by the way.
I like knowing all sides.)  .NET is so new that education should be a
huge part of the equation for success.  I want Microsoft to add more
technical people helping on forums, not just put out marketing fluff
about XML, but actually educate people by showing  examples that help
people learn how to do something XML in .NET.  I'd like people to end up
knowing what their alternatives are and how well they are implemented.
And if there are deviations from standards or problems with any product,
Microsoft or non-Microsoft, xml-dev has the right people listening here
to make it known and to push for changes.

Third, I did over exaggerate about a LOT of people here staying away
from .NET.  But it still seems like this forum has more bias than other
xml (non-Microsoft) forums.  Perhaps their hesitation is justified, at
least because of past Microsoft sins, or maybe because they have an
insider's view of where Microsoft is headed.  I don't know.  I know
until this year, I stayed away from Microsoft in favor of Cold Fusion.
Once I looked into ASP and compared it to Cold Fusion, after that I
didn't want to know anything more about ASP until this year when I
evaluated the .NET products and decided they made sense for me.  Many
people probably haven't had the time to do that evaluation yet and are
still judging Microsoft on their past products.

Anyway, I've learned a lot these past 4 days and hope some of what I've
done has benefited other members.  I'll try harder to get an 'A' this
next week on my report card for "playing well with others".

Pam Ammond
Empowering You!

website: http://www.empoweringyou.com
Please check out the "Wow! Look At Windows XP" book I wrote at
http://www.windowsxpbook.com