   RE: [xml-dev] Microsoft on XML

On 14 Nov 2002 at 0:15, Empowering You wrote:

> I apologize again for my mistake in posting the info.  However, I don't
> totally agree with the implications of your statement below.
>
> >I doubt there is anyone XML-DEV who isn't aware of how much support
> >Microsoft and the rest of the software industry has given XML or how
> >widely it is utilized and deployed.
>
> I don't know about that.  They probably know that Microsoft is on the
> standards boards, but I think many people don't have a clue how much if
> any of the XML standards Microsoft has actually implemented in their
> products or if they are implemented properly or are providing value.  I
> think a LOT of people on this XML-DEV have tried HARD not to look at
> anything Microsoft does.  And wouldn't touch .NET products with a 10
> foot pole, not even to find out if they are any good.

I think you've been on this list about 4 days, and you should relax and
observe a bit more before making judgments about a LOT of members of
the list. And I'm afraid my self-characterization as being in the
'rabid anti-Microsoft camp' may have helped give you that impression.
That was tongue-in-cheek: although I mostly develop on Linux and try
not to use MS products more than I have to, I have never viewed
technology as a religion; it's just tools, and I choose the ones I
believe are best. Nor do I really deliberately avoid .NET, in spite of
my (again tongue-in-cheek) remark that I did: there's probably much of
value in it, but there are way too many things to learn, and my
priorities lie elsewhere. And I suspect that, like me, the majority of
the non-Microsoft developers on the list are just that: non-Microsoft,
not anti-Microsoft.

In any case, my take on what's appropriate: objective, technical
information on Microsoft's XML technology is as welcome on this list as
any other technical information. *Opinions* about Microsoft technology,
pro or con, are also welcome if they are well-reasoned and especially
if they are fresh.

Finally, I think your enthusiasm is wonderful; it would be more
wonderful if tempered with a bit more sensitivity to the knowledge and
interests of the other members of the list.

I'm nobody in particular, but I've been on this list for a few months,
so take that for what it's worth.

[P.S. Did you notice that the person you were responding to is a senior
 developer at Microsoft? He and one or two other Microsoft staff are
 regulars on this list, and I think most people pay attention to what
 they have to say.]

--
Matt Gushee