From: Julian Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@gmx.de]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 6:10 PM
To: pam@empoweringyou.com; 'Julian Reschke'; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Embedding html in XML

I'm surprised because to adequately style "raw" XML with CSS, you'll
need really good CSS support in the browser. And this is something where
Internet Explorer is really weak compared to Mozilla.

> Correct me if I'm wrong..., but if you use HTML don't you have to use
> it on individual items?  Where as, if you use CSS you can take a whole

> group, say the <paragraph> element, and make everything within that
> element, for example, "bold", rather than go through each paragraph
> and put <b> </b> tags around it.

OK, you'd *still* use CSS to *style* the HTML display. But did you ever
try to format XML as a table just using CSS with Internet Explorer?

> Or maybe, it's just because I don't think .NET allows you to do it the

> way he wanted to do it with HTML using XML.  I've don't remember
> I've read. But maybe I missed it.

You seem to talk about combining "raw" XML with HTML elements. I fail to
see how .NET would make that easier or harder -- in the end, it's just a
runtime environment and some standard classes for XML manipulation. Am I
missing something?

Julian