   RE: [xml-dev] The truth about standards...

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 17:07, Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> PS: Reading the linked Zeldman.com article I couldn't help but be
> puzzled by "XHTML 1.0 brought consistent rules to traditional web markup
> and helped it play well with XML applications. These standards made
> sense because they solved real problems.". In hindsight, are there
> people who truly believe XHTML 1.0 solved any real problems besides
> making HTML buzzword compliant? Honest question not flamebait.

Depends on how you're defining real problem. If you mean has it made a
whole new class of things effectively possible like say XSLT did, no.
Has it saved me and many others a few hours here and a few hours there
of annoying gruntwork, yeah. It's a defined vocabulary that can be
processed with both XML and HTML tools. Nothing really hard, but it
avoids renegotiation and stupid oversights.

It's especially helpful because it partially avoids the very-real-to-me
problem of Internet Explorer's massively broken CSS implementation.

Frank