   Re: [xml-dev] What are the arguments *for* XHTML 2.0?

In a message dated 22/11/2002 09:35:28 GMT Standard Time, michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com writes:

> What resources in particular are you concerned about? If the
> editors of
> XHTML 2.0 were not working on XHTML 2.0, they might spend
> their time at
> the pub or in the hot-tub. That wouldn't advance the Web.

But it might slow down its fragmentation.

Michael Kay

Hi Michael,

As we both know I occasionally screw up in parsing your sentences, so feel free to correct me where I go wrong here.

You are saying that development of XHTML 2.0 will accelerate the fragmentation of the Web?

In your view is that a good or bad thing?

You are also saying that if the HTML [sic] Working Group spent more time in the pub or hot-tub that that would slow down the fragmentation of the Web?

So, maybe jumping out of line here, it might ... if one wanted to slow down the fragmentation of the Web ... be a good thing if the HTML WG spent more time in the pub?

In reality, though, isn't the fragmentation of the Web already inevitable?

A long time ago someone, I think it may have been Simon, posted something on this list about a fork in the (XML?) road. It seems to me to be more realistic to think of splinters in the road - many lines going off in several different directions.

The modularization of XHTML in XHTML 1.1 surely opens up one dimension of splintering?

The availability of non-desktop browsers seems to add another dimension to the process?

It may be that I misunderstood what "XML on the Web" might be but one aspect of that seems to be to fundamentally be splintering/fragmentation. If we have diversity of XML application languages on the Web, and presumably a diversity of XML-capable viewers isn't fragmentation/compartmentalisation inevitable? And wasn't it from day 1 of XML?

Of course if one views the splintering/fragmentation in a wholly positive light then one can call it diversity/personalisation.

Andrew Watt
"XHTML 2.0 - the W3C leading the Web to its full potential ... to implement yesterday's technology tomorrow"