   Re: [xml-dev] What are the arguments *for* XHTML 2.0?

Jakob Nielsen has published some more food for thought in the recent
Flash discussion:

Many Flash applications are linked in ways that cause most users to
avoid them. In our study, users in the U.S. had to be directed into
the Flash area 36% of the time. Normally, then (lacking a test
facilitator's help), more than a third of users would never launch
such linked Flash applications, even when they wanted to perform the
tasks that the applications support.

In other words, even those users who do have Flash installed, can't
launch the Flash application more than a third of the time. I think
you have to pay him if you want complete details about the study, but
the executive summary is here:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021125.html

He is careful to say that he doesn't think this problem is
fundamental to Flash. Any similar technology used to develop rich
interfaces (e.g. XHTML+ECMASscript+XUL+SVG+XForms) for the Web would
have the same issues.