   Redefining the meaning of common nouns

Hi,

We've already seen W3C redefining the meaning of the common noun "XML
schema" and someone pointed [1] me on the definition of the common noun
"Web service" in the W3C "Web services glossary" [2]:

"A Web service is a software system identified by a URI [RFC 2396],
whose public interfaces and bindings are defined and described using
XML. Its definition can be discovered by other software systems. These
systems may then interact with the Web service in a manner prescribed by
its definition, using XML based messages conveyed by Internet
protocols."

I would find this definition perfect if it was applied to a new name or
acronym (such as "XWS" for "XML Web Service"), but I'd like to challenge
the fact of redefining the meaning of a common term in a restrictive
way.

"Web service" is a common expression which have been used (probably
since the creation of the web) for services available on the web and the
first part of the definition seems suficient:

"A Web service is a software system identified by a URI [RFC 2396]."

Adding normative implementation constraints "public interfaces and
bindings are defined and described using XML" seems very restrictive!

How can we call services identified by a URI which bindings are not
defined and described using XML?

I think that redefining common nouns is always confusing and a bad
thing.

A consortium could has well decide that a "window" is "an opening in the
wall of a building for the admission of light and air made of glass and
aluminium", that wouldn't be a terrible useful definition even if most
of the windows producers where member of the consortium :-) !

Eric

[1] http://xmlfr.org/listes/xml-decid/2002/11/0038.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-ws-gloss-20021114/#webservice
--
Curious about Relax NG? My book in progress is waiting for your review!
                                   http://books.xmlschemata.org/relaxng/