   Re: [xml-dev] Redefining the meaning of common nouns

From: "Eric van der Vlist" <vdv@dyomedea.com>

> "A Web service is a software system identified by a URI [RFC 2396],
> whose public interfaces and bindings are defined and described using
> XML. Its definition can be discovered by other software systems. These
> systems may then interact with the Web service in a manner prescribed by
> its definition, using XML based messages conveyed by Internet
> protocols."

versus

> "A Web service is a software system identified by a URI [RFC 2396]."

"Web services" are not just CGIs, so I think Eric's definition is not really enough.
The point about web services is that they provide some metadata that allows you
to find or use them: for example, that they may advertise or have schemas.
So that some software can say "I want to find a certain service" or some
other software can also say "tell me what format/schema is being used."

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe