   Re: [xml-dev] Redefining the meaning of common nouns

Hi Rick

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 13:12, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> "Web services" are not just CGIs, so I think Eric's definition is not really enough.
> The point about web services is that they provide some metadata that allows you
> to find or use them: for example, that they may advertise or have schemas.
> So that some software can say "I want to find a certain service" or some
> other software can also say "tell me what format/schema is being used."

Well, this is more or less the definition from the W3C, but I don't
think that the is the meaning of the common term "web service" as used
or undertood by "common people" who expect "web service" to be a service
available on the web like a "street musician" is a musician playing in
the street.

If we use "web service" for "service available on the web which provides
some metadata that allows you to find or use it", how do we call a
"service available on the web which doesn't provide any metadata that
allows you to find or use it" ?

Eric
--
Freelance consulting and training.