   Re: [xml-dev] Redefining the meaning of common nouns

From: "Eric van der Vlist" <vdv@dyomedea.com>

> If we use "web service" for "service available on the web which provides
> some metadata that allows you to find or use it", how do we call a
> "service available on the web which doesn't provide any metadata that
> allows you to find or use it" ?

If a resource does not have any discovery or metadata support
it is just a resource and does not need any special term.

A couple of days ago I commented that not every web service
is a (W3C) Web Service. But I think to say that every URL is
a web services gets rid of a useful new term, and just means
we would need to think of a new one. (Probably an acronym
begining with X or W, bless each and every one of us.)

Terms evolve, and I don't recall "web services" has ever had
a common meaning before. If anyone used "a web service"
before, they are being overly germanic in any case, and would
be well-advised to say "a service on the web" IMHO, just
to prevent the spread of ugly lengthy noun phrases.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe
Over Length Noun Phrase Prevention Society President