   Re: [xml-dev] Redefining the meaning of common nouns

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> The point about web services is that they provide some metadata that
> allows you to find or use them: for example, that they may advertise
> or have schemas.

I thought that the point about Web Services(TM) was that they were
interfaces to services intended to be processed by machines rather than
presented to human beings. I would posit that less than 1 in 20
"self-declared Web Services" uses any formal discovery mechanism and
less than half have a service discovery.

> So that some software can say "I want to find a certain service" or
> some other software can also say "tell me what format/schema is being

> used."

I strongly disagree that this is the defining characteristic as the term
is used even in "the industry". XMethods lists many web services with no
WSDL.

If I just make a SOAP endpoing with no WSDL, what do I call that if not
a Web Service or XML Web Service?

  Paul Prescod