   Re: [xml-dev] The privilege of XML parsing - Data types, binary XML and

> Hi Sean,
>
> > 2. Applications come and go but data lives forever (or can do). The
> > trick of making your data outlive your applications is to divorce
> > application-level data models from the XML. Burying data model
> > information into the XML binds the XML to the application in a way
> > which will bite when the application is changed or retired.
> >
> > 3. Doing so significantly increases the semantic consensus required by
> > communicating processes to share data. The beauty of *HAVING* to
> > create your own data model[1] from a stream of Unicode with angle
> > brackets is that you do not have to share any semantics or
> > expectations other than Unicode with the originator of that XML. Far
> > from being a burden, it is a *privilege* to be able to parse the XML
> > and treat the data the way you want to, rather than have a data model
> > imposed on you.
>
> I passed your message along to a colleague.  Here are her comments:
>
> XML is a syntax.  It has no data model.

This sounds like the dictator's logic.  "We have no secret police, so how is
it you say our secret police tortured you?"

> So how would one "bury a data model" in it even if one wanted to?

You do so by adding in an XSD schema location pointer.  Then, suddenly, when I
run it unsuspectingly through my XPath2 engine, drags in all sorts of unwanted
magic into my processing.

Tour of 4Suite - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/10/16/py-xml.html
Proper XML Output in Python - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/11/13/py-xml.html
RSS for Python - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-p