   Re: [xml-dev] Re: The privilege of XML parsing - Data types, binaryXML a

Andrzej Jan Taramina wrote:

> What is interesting is that this approach is finding favour with the Aspect-
> Oriented Programming crowd, where method calls and aspects (interceptors)
> are, in a sense, pipelined together dynamically.  The architecture of the JBoss
> project is an excellent example of such thinking and provides many benefits
> and flexibilities.

Pipelining and AOP are different beasts. Assuming we're programming
to the mainline,  a pipeline /will/ return the value of its last
element, but an AOP chain /should/ returns the value of its primary
function. All interceptors before and after the primary are
auxilaries. An AOP chain that doesn't return on its primary is going
to be difficult to reason about - ie pointcuts shouldn't have
side-effects affecting main code.

Bill de hÓra

--
Propylon