   Re: [xml-dev] The privilege of XML parsing - Data types, binary XML and

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 15:57, Roger L. Costello wrote:
> Hi Uche,
>
> > > So how would one "bury a data model" in it even if one wanted to?
> >
> > You do so by adding in an XSD schema location pointer.  Then, suddenly,
> > when I run it unsuspectingly through my XPath2 engine, drags in all sorts
> > of unwanted magic into my processing.
>
> What sorts of unwanted magic is draggged in?  Going back to my aircraft
> example:
>
> <aircraft>
>     <elevation>12000</elevation>
> </aircraft>
>
> Wouldn't it be useful to be able to find that the elevation element
> contains an integer that is restricted to the range 0-20000?

Definitely. Uses of the information include:

1) In the absence of any better information from XSL or CSS, a browser could
use that information to apply suitable local display rules for integers:
12,000 vs 12.000 for example.

2) An editor can complain if you try to edit that field outside of its range,
and the editor can provide the option of using a slider to select approximate
values from 0-20,000.

> I have always thought that the more information that I have, the better
> decisions I can make in processing the data.  A data model (whether the
> data model is an XML Schema, or an RDF Schema) provides me with additional
> data that would be useful in processing the data, yes?  /Roger

One would hope so. If it does *more* than that then something other than the
data model is at fault :-)

ABS

--
A city is like a large, complex, rabbit