   Enumerated Lists Derived from Enumerated List simpleType - Reality Check

A quick check of my interpretation of XML Schema functionality.

I have a simpleType that is an enumerated list of all the possible
values for an attribute. Let's say that the list is of all the
continents in the world. This list (CITW) would contain A,B,C,D,E,F,G

I want to create various subset simpleTypes (or restrict the content
directly at the attribute). Let's say that I want to create subset lists
for continents that are intersected by the various longitudinal lines.
This for the Equator would contain A,C,E and for the North Pole (G)
where the base type would be (CITW) and the subsets would be derived
from it.

To me this is an obvious interpretation. However, I am finding some
uneven application of this concept.

Arthur Colman
Drybridge Consulting (www.drybridge.com)
papiNet Technical Director (www.papiNet.org)