   Re: [xml-dev] Internal entities removed from XML?

[Mike Champion]

<bill.dehora@propylon.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Sigh, premature optimization.
>
> [Kicking myself for exposing myself to further humliation]
>
> Well, not to touch on yet another permathread, but to the best of my
> knowledge as a looker-over-of-shoulders of real implementers, this is not
> "premature" -- it's the hard-won knowledge from a lot of profiling that
the
> buffer management needed by the possibility that some token will be an
> entity reference that needs to be expanded is a significant bottleneck in
> many implementations.

Mike, I think the only issue here is what the default should be.  The same
optimizations would be available whichever way was chosen to be the default.

However, I have a related question  that maybe Dare can answer.  If entity
expansion is turned on, according to your example, you will be operating in
validating mode.  How does it handle the common case where a document does
not have a complete DTD but only declares a few entities?  Does the
processor expand the entities and then continue to parse, or does it stop
with a validation error because a complete DTD is not available?

Cheers,

Tom P