   Re: [xml-dev] Internal entities removed from XML?

Mike Champion wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:36:51 +0000, Bill de hÓra
> <bill.dehora@propylon.com> wrote:
>

>> Sigh, premature optimization.
>
> Well, not to touch on yet another permathread, but to the best of my
> knowledge as a looker-over-of-shoulders of real implementers, this is
> not "premature" -- it's the hard-won knowledge from a lot of profiling
> that the buffer management needed by the possibility that some token
> will be an entity reference that needs to be expanded is a significant
> bottleneck in many implementations.

It's premature. Even allowing that disabling entity expansion is a
service to some developers, it doesn't follow that the default
seting is to disable them. The library is called System.XML, not
System.SOAP after all.

I'm not asking for the feature to be removed, just make the default
setting compliant with XML. If you don't want entities expanded,
turn them off. Having to turn them on frankly breaks with the spirit
of things.

Bill de hÓra
--
Propylon