   Re: [xml-dev] Internal entities removed from XML?

From: "Mike Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>

> On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 06:05:08 +1100, Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> > What are these optimizations?
>
> The best I can do is point to http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> tag/2002Dec/0119.html, which is the official XMLP WG response to the
> question of why SOAP 1.2 forbids DTD internal subsets.
>
> "Primarily, the
> reasons are (a) performance and (b) keep it simple.  In the high
> performance regimes where some SOAP implementations will operate, the
> parsers will likely be tuned for SOAP message handling.  Doing general
> entity substitution beyond that mandated by XML 1.0 (e.g. &lt;) implies a
> degree of buffer management, often data copying, etc. which can be a
> noticeable burden when going for truly high performance.  This performance
> effect has been reported by workgroup members who are building high
> performance SOAP implementations."

They seem to be saying that documents with entities are slower to process
(which well may be so for some implementations) and so therefore these should
be banned. This puts the cart before the horse: if someone wants to send
superfast data, let them send resolved data.   I don't see anything in those
comments that supporting entities but not using them imposes any
performance penalty.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe