   Re: [xml-dev] Still not the essence of XML (was Re: [xml-dev] S-e xpress

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Still not the essence of XML (was Re: [xml-dev] S-e xpressions vs. XML)
  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:46:18 -0500

steve@rii.ricoh.com (Stephen R. Savitzky) writes:
>The big win with XML is the same as the big win for LISP: using the
>same representation for both data and programs.  In the case of XML,
>we also get the explicit recognition of the fact that programs (and
>data) are also documents, and so can be manipulated in lots of useful
>ways that weren't intended by their authors.

I don't see most XML documents as programs, and it's taken me a very
long time to adjust to programs that use XML syntax (XSLT).  It may be a
win for some cases, but that's not a win for me.  I guess that makes me
someone who has "difficulty using parse trees to specify processing.
Look at XSLT, for example."

Independence of the documents from particular programs and even
particular processing styles is an enormous win for me.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!