   Re: [xml-dev] many-to-many

> >Surely neither you nor John has come across any software daft enough
> >to make such a leap.
>
> My interpretation of this conversation was a little milder, just that
> there is no "natural" connection between a given URI and a given
> thing/resource/whatever once you move beyond the notion that the "thing"
> can be found by dereferencing the resource.

It was intended to be toward the milder end of the spectrum. I have recently
been spending time on digital poetry and it's foundations in conceptual art.
On reading John's comments it struck me that we were not arguing anything
new... not even something unique to our industry-- that was why I gave the
Magritte link (which interestingly returns a 404 today). I realized that I
could utilize much of what I have been studying in understanding the problem
at hand. I think I am still at entry-level Semantic Web understanding... I
understand why it could be useful... general ideas of how it functions...
but no idea how the math works or really even what techniques are available.
So whenever I understand something basic I get excited. There is no
"natural" connection between the signified and the signifier in language
either. All the references to platonic forms seem to make more sense. I
think I need to read Ulysses again.

Jeff Rafter