   Re: [xml-dev] rules for XML?

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 09:58:37 -0700, Owen Walcher <news@owenwalcher.com>
wrote:

> I am looking to
> come up with a set of "codd-like" rules that lets me used well-formed XML
> in malleable/adaptive applications without the need for a DTD or Schema.

I presume you've seen http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/11/13/normalizing.html
?
That's the closest to Codd-like rules for XML normalization that I've seen.
Or http://www.eecs.umich.edu/db/timber/files/physical.pdf which is the
closest thing I've seen to an "XML Algrebra" comparable to Codd's
Relational Algebra.  I guess the XQuery people would point to their formal
semantics, but if that is "Codd", we need a "Date" to explain it to
ordinary mortals "-)

> Have two completely different semantics, in that the attribute
> pattern="Argyle" (in my opinion) should not be used because it does not
> further specify the size of the sock.

As others have noted, Here Be Dragons ... or at least the Spanish
Inquisition ready to burn heretics.    Enter at your peril, and with your
flameproof suit fully engaged.

> Is anyone else working along these lines to move programming from the
> cottage industry it now is into the current century?

Sigh, them's fightin' words to some of us.  I've heard about plans to move
programming into the current century, Real Soon Now, for about 30 years.
Maybe one of these centuries it will actually happen, but I suspect that
your thesis committee will have retired by then :-)

Large chunks of XML practice are INTRINSICALLY "cottage industry" rather
than "engineering," especially from people who think of it as marked up
text rather than serialized objects.  You might have some luck automating
the programming of objects serialized as XML, but the XML aspects of that
would be incidental to the OOP aspects I'll guess.

Just my $.02 ... I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from tackling the
hard problems of comparing, contrasting, reconciling, and synthesizing
typical XML theory/practice with OOP and RDBMS theory/practice.  I think
these are absolutely critical areas for academia to get a better handle on.