   Re: [xml-dev] Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services

> > I didn't say anything about whether or not it's an excellent tradeoff for WS
> > folks.  I have several times said that I am not interested in that subthread.
>
> I think it's a good thing for (yes, I mean this) the whole world.

<scoff>.  Yeah.  Everyone thinks that they speak for the whole world, don't
they?  Well, as long as I'm part of the whole world, I can tell you you're off
base, because your vision ain't better for me.

> Just like ASCII and TCP/IP and MIME, in their day, winning out over
> the competition.

None of these "competed" by misappropriating other developments.  I have no
problem with competition.  But I often gather tha the "let me remold XML in my
own image" crowd does.

> > But yes, rejecting XML documents that use DTD is a violation of XML's
> > fundamental design.  Or do you claim that DTDs are not a part of XML's
> > fundamental design?
>
> Well sure, it's in the 1.0 spec, but no, I don't think it's fundamental.
> If the XML declaration had a "doctype" attribute there would be nothing
> in XML that required DTD's.  Unless I missed the part of the fundamental
> Canon that said it must be possible to make all XML documents self-describing.

The XML 1.0 spec *requires* that XML parsers recognize at least the internal
subset.  If that does not meet the test of "fundamental", then I'd have to say
your position distorts language to the point where argument is fruitless.

So I won't bother.  If you decide you want to debate the issue in English, let
me know.

The open office file format  - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/librar
y/x-think15/
Python Generators + DOM - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/01/08/py-xml.html