   RE: [xml-dev] SGML->XML->? (was Re: [xml-dev] SML: Second Try)

Simon >
> I have to admit that XML 1.0, flaws and all, makes me feel
> all warm and
> fuzzy compared to the specifications that have followed.  It wasn't
> perfect, but I suspect it's by far the least dysfunctional of the XML
> family of specs.

I think back on all the permathreads on this list, and look at all the
spanking new and ever more complex recommendations and working drafts, and I
can't help but develop a mental image of a very smart and very busy swarm of
bees buzzing around in ever tighter more vicious circles.  Sooner, rather
than later, a colony is going to break off and establish themselves, and
then there will be two hives to contend with.

It seems that no matter how intelligent and qualified and hard-working the
people involved in planning future directions are, Chaos is alway sticking
its nose in their business and messing their plans.  And lately I've come to
accept that not only that the way it Is, but perhaps, even, that that's the
way it Should Be.