From: Jason Brown [mailto:Jason@i2.co.uk]
Sent: 07 February 2003 11:30
To: XML-DEV (E-mail)
Subject: [xml-dev] Problem with Inserted space and Character on Solaris

Hi everyone,

I received this email from a colleague earlier and am unable to answer it.  Knowing, as I do from lurking, the level of skill on this list, I was wondering if anyone on-list would be able to help.

      A client of mine has a MX application which does some XML/DOM manipulation and pushes the resulting XML out as the response (either to the browser on direct request, or to another script via cfhttp).

      Everything is working fine *except* that on Solaris only, the output has a single space character and a carriage return preceding the XML declaration. The *exact* same code, when executed on a Windows 2k server does *not* produce the extraneous white space. On both servers, they have turned on the option to suppress white space, and the script in question also uses RESET="YES" in a cfcontent tag directly preceding the <cfoutput> tag that returns the XML stream. While this sounds really minor, it's not: The XML in question must be processed by a plug-in which chokes if there is *any* white space before the XML declaration (which is fair enough as it isn't valid XML). Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thank you all in advance

Jason

Jason Brown
Technical Consultant, I2 Limited
Tel: (01223) 728 670
Fax: (01223) 728 601
E-Mail: jason@i2.co.uk

Q: Why do programmers always get Christmas and Halloween mixed up?
A: Because DEC 25 = OCT 31