   RE: [xml-dev] Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services

  • To: "Elliotte Rusty Harold" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services
  • From: "Don Box" <dbox@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:22:56 -0800

Here's another one: The HyperText Transfer Protocol gets used a lot for non-HyperText applications and based on the number of POST/cgi hacks floating around the internet, isn't always used for Transfer.

Seriously, it's naive for someone to think that their protocol will be used in only the way they originally anticipate. People have done things neither Dave, Bob, Mohsen nor I ever expected with SOAP. Rather than stomp up and down in protest, I personally am glad people have taken an interest and want to evolve it.

On a related note, one thing that has happened that I'm personally very happy about is now that SOAP's acronym status has been revoked, the protocol has become considerably simpler than earlier versions. Features I personally thought were criticial (e.g., SOAP/1.1 Section 5) have become fairly marginalized (and rightly so), whereas features I didn't originally care too much about (identifying intermediaries using URI rather than element QName) turn out to be pretty critical.

DB