   Re: [xml-dev] Strong versus (weak|runtime) typing

From: "Sean McGrath" <sean.mcgrath@propylon.com>

> Is the strong/weak/runtime typing argument over XML any different from
> that debate in programming languages.

There are two different debates for XML:--

- Where, when, and how much should/must documents be validated?  This
  is a software engineering debate.

- When, where and how much should we process XML using types rather than
  (element and attribute) name?   E.g PSVI. This is perhaps more an architecture
   debate.

In XML we don't just have creation time (=compile time?) and runtime
(= parsetime?) but potentially all sorts of times in the middle.  Perhaps
the closest thing to schemas used for validation are (things like) Java nee Eiffel
nee C's assert statements or external metrics programs: not required for compilation
but perhaps part of QA and QC.

Cheers
Rick