   Re: [xml-dev] New XML tool for improving data-processing performance

On Friday 14 February 2003 16:11, Eric Johnson wrote:

> In fact, I'm almost certain
> that you are not the first to use XSLT to convert XML to CSV, likely so
> that such data could be imported into spreadsheets, but many of those
> projects were likely one-off, in-house projects done by some junior
> engineer who never even thought to look at the USPTO web site, or would
> have laughed if someone suggested what they were doing was patentable.

I've done XML to CSV via XSLT - it was for a script that took documents about
the setup of servers on a network and merged them into a whole. The server
documents contained details of their network interfaces, and I had an XSLT
that extracted all of the network interface descriptions into a CSV so that a
trivial script could do some subnet arithmetic to see which hosts were on the
same subnet as each other (and then consult whois for the name of that
network), producing XML which was then used to generate a 'networks' appendix
to the resulting docbook document.

It was really cool.

ABS

--