   Re: [xml-dev] New XML tool for improving data-processing performance

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:00:55 +0100
>>>I'd guess RAX would infringe on it somehow. Otherwise a quick glance at CPAN
>>>shows that such tools have been available publicly for at least three years.
>>
>> Thanks a lot. I will investigate about RAX immediately.
>
>You may also want to look into XML::SAXDriver::CSV and XML::CSV. I've also seen
>an XML::SAX::Writer::CSV that did the same thing, but I can seem to find it
>right now.

Thank you very much again.
I will check the  XML::SAXDriver::CSV and XML::CSV etc.

Eric Johnson wrote:
>Shigeru,
>
>Shigeru Yoshida wrote:
>[snip]
>>Since I have not known prior art for this kinds of CSV compaction, the prior
>>art is just what I want to know.
>>
>Well, of course you would.  To me, this particular patent underscores
>some of the numerous faults in the US patent system, particularly with
>regards to software patents.
>
>For one thing, I hope you realize the absurdity of your position - that
>of getting a patent, and then asking the question in a public forum, as
>to whether anyone knows of prior art. ...

Yes, I have realized the absurdity of relationship between patent and
software development for private companies. Our developed software has
received the great benefit of XSLT and other XML technology.
I also think that the company patent system for software may fail as
you said. But I am an engineer working for a company and sorry, I have
no choice. Whether to take only the honor and to throw away the right
belongs to political judgment of the top of the company.
Moreover, to me, it is hard to discuss patent matters in English.

Alaric B. Snell wote:
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:26:22 +0000
>On Friday 14 February 2003 16:11, Eric Johnson wrote:
>
>> In fact, I'm almost certain
>> that you are not the first to use XSLT to convert XML to CSV, likely so
>> that such data could be imported into spreadsheets, but many of those
>> projects were likely one-off, in-house projects done by some junior
>> engineer who never even thought to look at the USPTO web site, or would
>> have laughed if someone suggested what they were doing was patentable.
>
>I've done XML to CSV via XSLT - it was for a script that took documents

The subject is patent talk completely.

I am a software engineer and have wanted to make what is useful to a world.
Let me talk about my motivation why we have developed the tool software.

Nikkei Computer magazine 2001/No. 3.12 reported "The truth of omnipotent
fantasy 'the common sense' of XML is collapsed". In the article when the
throughput of XML data is insufficient at the spot where uses XML for
the first time or shifts conventional data to XML, the following techniques
which users take are described.

 (a) Shorten length of the definition information (element name) on XML
 (b) Pack redundant information into one.
 (c) Remove unnecessary XML data to the present business.

The article is worth reading but unfortunately there is no electronic
version and in Japanese. Anyway, application software programmers as well as
me in Japan may not know much about conventional convenient tools for
improving data-processing performance. Then I thought that not stopgap
emergency measure but convenient tool is necessary.

I investigated such tool but a suitable one was not found although my search
may not be enough. It is desirable to improve data-processing performance,
maintaining interoperability not by binary XML but by ordinary character-
based XML.

In early stages of development, I found proposed method near my intention
in the article entitled "ZXML -- XML compression method" in ASPToday web site.
  You can read the outline of ZXML in the following sites:
      http://www.xml.com/pub/r/904
      http://www.asptoday.com/content.asp?id=631
           the full article of PDF version costs $5 (^^;;

ZXML method packs all elements in each record in a CSV form to reduce amount of
XML data. It uses XSLT but users had to write conversion / reverse-conversion
XSL sheets for individual cases and it assumed to use special API software
to handle its converted documents.

That is why we have developed the software tool.
And we realized the function in the above-mentioned article of Nikkei Computer
magazine as a tool. To be sure, the software may not be innovative, but it is a
tool software and not part of any system. I believe that it is convenient and
practical.

BTW, recently, I read the article "The horror of XML" ZDnet in October 29, 2002.
http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2896005,00.html

I consider that the ZDnet's article has asked whether there are any methods other
than the method of improving performance which uses Binary XML and cheats XML.

Best regards;