   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Are the publishing users happy? Why not?

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 11:15 am, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> About the most I've been able to get non-XML people to do consistently -
> and not always consistently at that - is to apply Word styles to
> content.  Even there, they almost always get paragraph-level styling
> right and leave out lots of character-level styling.

The main thing is that if people use fonts (and hopefully styles)
consistently, you can work with the data. There are reasonable, and improving
conversion tools that can work with that as a basis.

FWIW. I have a set of Word macros I wrote a long time ago (and the idea came
from Steve DeRose) that can take documents in a given template, and generate
reasonable XML out of it. It can then take the outputted XML document, and
convert that back into a Word native document. I also have a set of macros
for enforcing use of styles.

I think very few people (from a practical perspective) would use such tools
because they're too intrusive. Case in point being all the native tools, like
SGML for Word that failed because *anything* new is often too much for
authors.