   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Are the publishing users happy? Why not?

I'm also an xml-editor developer.

Our customers definitely don't want to see tags or concern themselves
with validation. They need to be convinced  of the merits of structured
authoring. They want their authoring environments to be as Word-like as
possible (that's what we're competing against) and we go to great
efforts to make that possible, while keeping style and formating away
from the markup.

It takes a while to get users used to structured authoring - they are
used to be able to do whatever they want, wherever they want. Once we
can get them over the 'hump' and can sell the merits of capturing
information rather than style, they generally see the light.

We are constantly grappling with the over-markup issue. Adopting a
philosphy that if you're not sure whether something should be marked up
or not - mark it up, makes a lot of sense to me. The only way we can
convince skeptics of the merits of storing their precious data in XML is
to demonstrate to them sexy things that can be achieved that are either
not possible or extremely difficult with non-structured information. We
also need to keep in mind that the lazy author will err on the side of
not marking up information - it's usually better to provide containers
as cues for what content is worth capturing.

I've played with an Office 11 beta and basically it's similar to an
early version of XMetal. Lots of tags, a tree view and an attribute
picker. I'm very glad that Microsoft has gone with XML output/editing as
it shows our users that structured authoring is the right direction to
be heading in - even Word supports it!