   Re: [xml-dev] Re: How to redesign W3C XML Schema (Was: Remembering the

"Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com> writes:

> [...]

'final' vs. 'block' is

  "Can I derive new elements decls/type defns from this"
    vs.
  "Will derived element decls/type defns be allowed in instances when this is
   specified in the schema"

On element decls vs on type defns controls substitution groups vs type
derivation respectively.

Having said that, we're considering removing 'final' from W3C XML
Schema 1.1 -- any input on retaining/removing it would be useful.

ht
                      Half-time member of W3C Team